{Purpose of Blog!}

MOTIVATIONAL. INSPIRING. ENCOURAGING. HELPFUL. CHALLENGES. FRIENDSHIPS. STRENGTH. COMPASSION. DEDICATION. HARD WORK. BALANCE.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Favorite Food Friday

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!  Some of our squadron is returning home right now - but not my husband :(  Our turn is soon!!!!

So, I LOVE quinoa!  I just thought I'd share a little bit about it today.  This is the brand I buy at Costco and I think it's about $9, and it's a huge bag.
The health benefits are awesome - and it's actually not a grain, it's more closely related to spinach and chard - crazy I think!  Some benefits:

Quinoa is an excellent source of high-quality protein as it contains all of the essential amino acids. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 8.14 g of protein, has a low sodium content and is rich in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese and zinc.

Health Benefits

The Mayo Clinic promotes the use of alternate protein sources such as quinoa since people who eat mainly plant-based diets generally have lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels along with a reduced risk of heart disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. Quinoa is suggested as one of the high-protein options for increasing the number of meatless meals without cutting back on adequate protein.

It's also gluten free.  I use it in all kinds of stuff - you can use it as a substitute for rice too.  I make muffins, lots of salads, you can put it in casseroles, etc.  Here are some of my very favorite recipes:
 
http://thediva-dish.com/uncategorized/healthy-living-class-green-drinks-sweet-eats-and-salads/ 
scroll down until you see this photo:

another salad: http://kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com/2012/05/01/california-quinoa-salad-whole-foods-copycat/
 
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/20/high-protein-quinoa-almond-berry-salad/
 
http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html
 
and some yummy muffins - I freeze them and pull one out when I want to eat one: http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/whole-wheat-quinoa-muffins.html  (I use coconut oil and have used different dried fruits and they are always good!)  It's very dense and filling and a great snack.

And how cool is this - and entire blog dedicated to quinoa recipes! http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

So, I hope you give quinoa a try if you haven't already - it's a very good for you!


2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to admit that I have quinoa sitting in my cupboard (probably have had it since at least January!) and have yet to use it. I just need to try it out!

    I hope this return home isn't like last time...and he kept getting delayed a few days. So happy for all of you to be together again. When do you and TJ head on your vacation? How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have honestly never heard of it! Very interesting...thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete