{Purpose of Blog!}

MOTIVATIONAL. INSPIRING. ENCOURAGING. HELPFUL. CHALLENGES. FRIENDSHIPS. STRENGTH. COMPASSION. DEDICATION. HARD WORK. BALANCE.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Small Changes

Okay, so I've always been "health-conscious", aware of what I eat and how "fit" I am.  But, today I have another, added reason to improve.  My husband was officially diagnosed with diabetes.  Ackk!  He was told he was "pre-diabetic" years ago, but never took it seriously and had an "I don't actually HAVE diabetes" attitude.  Well, not yet, but now he does.  Not wanting to be his referee to tell him what to do and eat all of the time, I'm putting this responsibility on him.  But, as the cook and food shopper in the house, I know that the kinds of meals I make and snacks we have around the house will be important, too.  So, we will be making some small changes.  I know too well that big changes all at once don't seem to stick.  But, that being said, I am having a bit of dilemma - do we treat this lifestyle change like removing a Band-aid?  Rip it off all at once and just attack it?  Or, do we go slowly and ease into the "pain"?  So, in the meantime, here are some small changes that we've already started and some other's we'll be adding.  If anything, we'll all be eating healthier and hopefully my boys won't grow up to be diabetic, too.  

Change #1 - We've already started switching from white rice to brown rice.  This will continue but in a more serious way.  We won't be eating as much rice, as well. http://pristinefitness.blogspot.com/2011/02/brown-rice-vs-white-ricewho-wins-this.html

Change #2 - We'll be eliminating pasta from our menu - slowly.  Right now we have about 2-3 pasta dinners a week.  I will cut this down to 1 a week and hopefully with whole wheat pasta (the family is really not a fan).

Change #3 - More vegetables.  I've been kind of sporadic throughout the winter, but I'm going to be more regular with fresh vegetables.  I know this will mean a larger grocery bill, but it will be worth it in the end.  Bountiful Baskets is a GREAT way to try new things and is also a pretty good value.  I'm going to become a regular Bountiful Basket participant, and garden season is just around the corner, which will help a lot.


Change #4 - I'm gonna' kick the hubby out of the house (not for good, just for exercise) and get him a gym membership.

So, which "Band-Aid removal" technique would YOU use if someone in your home needed to make a major lifestyle change?  I hope one of these changes is useful to someone else, too.  I think no matter how "healthy" we are (or think we are) there is always room for even a small change.  

6 comments:

  1. I agree we all can and probably need to do better to be healthier!
    I'm sorry about the hubby being diagnosed with diabetes. That is a BIG deal, I think.
    I think I would kick it in the butt and get to work!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - what a road you have ahead of you! But, I know you can do it! I think I would start by eliminating all sugary/junk food. I just wouldn't buy it at all. Does this seem feasible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your husband. I would probably "rip off the bandaid". I like Melissa's idea. I would also probably do some research on diabetes friendly recipes and start making some menus. Good luck! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! Since I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic I have tried really hard to take it serious, but it is so hard. I think that it definitely is something that you want to attack full on, but the reality of that is different. The step by step works better. When you hit it head on and change everything at once it has less chance of sticking in the long run. I think what you have been doing is great. Slowly taking foods away and introducing new ones. Even a dietitian told me step by step is the way to go to have lasting changes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the encouragement, ladies! I'm definitely going to think twice before I buy ANYTHING. Melissa is right - if it's not in the house, then it won't get eaten. I just wish I could say the same while he's at work. I'm really trying hard to not be his "mom" through all of this and let him take control, but it's SO hard. As we were serving up dinner tonight he asked, "Is this stuff I can eat?" and then when I served his portion he said, "Is that ALL I get?" He's dishing his own plate from now on - no matter how close I am sitting to the hot casserole. I want to help, but I don't want him resenting ME for being the enforcer. I didn't make the rules and I don't want to be blamed for them. Make sense? Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, but I DID feel good about going to the store tonight and buying a few extra items for the green salad. I was hoping that by adding a red pepper and some darker greens that he'd eat more of it. He FILLED his plate with salad before having any of the main dish. AND, I planted peas (second try) and Swiss chard in the garden today - horray! Now, they just need to grow!

    ReplyDelete